FOR THE CAKE:
- 200 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 175 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 200 g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 100 g walnut pieces, roughly chopped or crumbled
- 75 g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
FOR THE ICING:
- 100 g unsalted butter (soft)
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 100 g full-fat cream cheese
- 15ml tbsp fresh ginger, coarsely grated
- 25 g walnut pieces, roughly chopped or crumbled
- 25 g crystallised ginger, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C Fan/325°F.
- Put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and salt into a bowl and fork well to mix thoroughly.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, sugar, and oil until they are completely mixed together, then gradually add the flour mixture.
- Add the carrots, walnuts and crystallised ginger and mix well.
- Add a little vegetable oil to your Whatever Pan and spoon the mixture into it.
- Bake for 45–55 minutes. When it’s ready, the cake will be set and golden brown on top, beginning to shrink away from the edges of the Whatever Pan.
- As soon as the cake is in the oven, get on with the icing. Beat the butter and icing sugar together and when creamily combined, beat in the cornflour, followed by the cream cheese and ginger juice.
- Once the cake is ready, spread the frosting on top, swirling it a little, then sprinkle the chopped walnuts and ginger on top.