- 1kg/35oz fresh mussels
- 3 large spring onions
- 1 large shallot
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 bunch thyme
- Handful flat-leaf parsley
- 100ml/3.4fl oz. olive oil
- About 150ml/5fl oz. dry white wine
- 1 tsp Pernod
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
For the chips
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Thinly slice the vegetables. Remove the seeds from the chilli and dice it.
- Add some oil to your Whatever Pan then stir-fry the vegetables with the thyme. Do so until the vegetables are wilted.
- Add in the mussels and shake so that they are even in the pan. Cover with the lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and pour in your white wine of choice and Pernod. Stir then cook for another 2 minutes with the lid on.
- Place a large colander in a bowl and tip the mussels and vegetables into the centre, draining it from the sauce. Set aside both.
- Cut the potatoes into thin strips. Coat with flour and cayenne pepper.
- Deep fry in a bath of oil.
- Pour the strained liquid into the pan to reheat it. Stir in the fresh cream and whole parsley leaves.
- Return the mussels and vegetables to the pan and reheat.
- Once warm, it is ready to serve.